Palazzo Fantini is in Tredozio, an ancient village located in the heart of the Tramazzo valley, which has always been border country lying between the Regions of Romagna and Tuscany.
It became officially a Comune of Romagna in 1923, following the administrative re-organization of Romagna at the behest of Mussolini.
In this area, set among gently rolling landscapes far from the rhythms of city life, the traditions of old are a precious heritage that has long been jealously guarded by the people of Tredozio, who have handed them from generation to generation, century after century.
It was on May 3rd 1753, in via XX Settembre – the main street of Tredozio, -that the first stone of the facade of Palazzo Fantini was placed, the Palazzo that conserves the memories of the family that inhabited it for close on three centuries.
The elegant, restrained facade in Tuscan barochetto style served to unify and ennoble a number of still older buildings. It boasts a balcony and the family coat of arms, a rooster. As well as a residence, the property was for a long time the center of a substantial agricultural estate, with all local activities based there: the making of silk, of hemp, of wine, woodwork, the sorting of cereals and the rearing of courtyard animals.
For this reason, the main entrance leads today, as it did in the past, to a world where several different characters reside side by side.
There are the formal reception rooms, decorated with frescoes, most of them from the 1700s; there are small parts in neogothic or Art Nouveau style, like the suspended glassed-in corridor which was used in the past as a Winter Garden; there is the private family Chapel and the library of the Fantini and Panciatichi-Fratti families, which incidentally houses the library of the “Garibaldino” Antonio Fratti.
At the back, the great area which was originally dedicated to agricultural uses now houses a collection of ancient instruments and tools used in the agricultural activity which started in mid-seventeenth century. This area is today mostly used as a venue for private and cultural events, including concerts.
Finally, behind the house itself, raised with respect to the house and hidden like a precious treasure, there is the splendid Italian style garden with its lemon houses, accessible only by means of a staircase that runs alongside the sturdy supporting walls.
Designed in the 1800s, the garden consists of Italian style box hedges, secret little paths, fountains of water lilies, flowerbeds of ancient roses and in the uppermost part, a park with fine specimens of centuries old trees and a rock garden.